The Market House taken from ‘The Markets and Fairs of Rayleigh and Rochford’, Rochford District Council
It is possible that this stood on a site previously occupied by a medieval predecessor. Excavations have recovered oyster, mussel and cockle shells. According to the 16th century writer, Norden, the best oysters in the country came from the area, and doubtless were brought to Rochford Market as trade. This building was the residence of the management of the Market, overlooking the Square below. The market must have closed some time between the early 1700’s and 1750’s, to say for how long and why is indeterminate as there is no available substantiation of dates.
Due to some of the archives being in image format and not easily readable when reduced to fit on this page, there is more to read about and see on the desktop website version.